December 1, 2011

Red, Animal Print, & Natural Hair



 Sag Harbor Blazer - Goodwill $5, NY&CO Knit Dress and Leopard Scarf
Liz Claiborne Vintage Earrings - Mary's Jewelry Box $5

I can't tell you just how much I love my red blazer. I've worn it at least once a week since finding it in Goodwill a while back. I've only worn this dress twice in the past year. I even almost gave it to one of my friends a few weeks ago when she borrowed it to wear to a wedding. After she returned it I hung it in the closet next to my red blazer and BAM! an outfit idea was born. After searching the web trying to figure out if red and camel really matched, I added the animal scarf. I've been looking for a pair of brown booties and still hadn't found any yet so I wore this outfit with some nude pumps, they were ok (so I just edited them out the photos).
One thing I love about UNCG during this time of year is all of the holiday socials! Undergraduate Student Excellence kicked off the holiday season with an Open House a few weeks ago. First, I noticed  Melanie, and undergraduate intern for Student's First, was wearing an animal print scarf as a headband (I was always a little to scared to try this trend when I had an afro). Later in the day I realized that Brandy, the new Coordinator of Academic Foundations (Congrats Brandy!) was also wearing red and animal print. D'Andre from Special Support Services added some red to the mix. I guess great minds really do think alike! 

Thanks Ladies for letting me take pics and post them on the blog (I'm still working on a waiver, lol)

 Brandy rocking an animal print scarf headband and animal print flats (they got cut off in the picture).

 Melanie in the middle with an animal print scarf and red nails.

D'Andre, me, Melanie, and Brandy - Natural Hair Divas

NATURAL HAIR VENT

I will be the first to admit that I am not the best person to talk to when it comes to natural hair. My first big chop wasn't that drastic, I went from maybe 2 inches of relaxed hair to a brush cut. My second big chop, after growing my hair for two years, was a bit more traumatic. But I'm one of those people that hair isn't a big deal (as long as it looks nice). I recently had to step in and intervene with one my best friends who's been transitioning for a while now. She's been natural before but it was a long time ago and she didn't want to cut her hair off again. Here's the advice I had to offer: "No matter what you decide to do; big chop, transition with braids, weaves, or protective styles, don't go around looking a mess. Natural hair doesn't mean NO maintenance, you still have to do SOMETHING to your hair. Educate yourself! YouTube was my main go-to-guide for a while. Surround yourself by other natural hair sisters. This journey is different for us all so we have to support one another, even those who decide to go back to the creamy crack (I'd be lying if I say I didn't think about it). And trust, you will have those days when you are like WTH! I wasn't totally happy with my haircut in these pics, I had let my hair grow a bit and had just a little too much cut off when I finally went to the barbershop, but it's hair IT GROWS BACK." My friend has since followed my advice and cut her hair and I must say her swagger is back on a 100 Thousand Million!

No comments:

Post a Comment