March 14, 2011

Countdown to Spring, Pt. 1: Closet Purge

It's been hard to think about spring with the sporadic days of warm weather followed by extreme cold temperatures here in NC. But with the official first day of spring next week (March 20th) it's time to start planning what staple items and trends need to be added to my spring wardrobe. I begin with the most difficult task for me, a closet purge. Here's my process and some tips to help you with your own purge:

1. Set aside at least 1-2 hours to complete this task. If it is really hard for you to let go of items, begin in small increments with all of your shirts, then all of your shoes, etc. Some people may need to break it down even more to all of your t-shirts, then cardigans, then sandals, etc. The most important thing is that you begin somewhere. If you get in the habit of doing a closet purge at least twice a year, you may not find it as overwhelming. I typically do a closet purge four times a year, as the seasons change.

2. Have a small laundry basket or small tote readily available so that items don't end up on the floor, in the corner, and ultimately back in your closet. I use two, one for items that I plan to get rid of and one for items that need alterations or repairs. I've recently started keeping a small basket in my closet to collect items in between purges.

3. I ask the following questions when determining whether or not to keep or toss an item:
  • Have I worn the item in the last year or last season two seasons?
  • It is still in style? Has it been in style in the past few years?
  • Does it fit? Could it fit with minor alterations?
  • Are alterations worth the cost to keep the item?
  • Is it still in good condition?
If the answer is NO to any of the questions, it's time to let go of the item. After purging my closet here's what I removed to get rid of:

(Victoria Secret Convertible Dress, The Limited Print Skirt, 2 Black and White Full Skirts, Asos One Shoulder Blouse, NY&CO Black and White Blouse, Asos Tulip Shirt, NY&CO Paisly Blouse, 2 Miley Cyrus Blouses - Purple and Animal Print, Mossimo White Sweater, To the Max Black Dress, NY&CO Blue Shirt Dress, OP Black Jumper, Brown Faded Glory Leggings, St John's Bay Denim Shorts, New Directions Black Shorts, 2 Steve and Barry's Capri Pants - Black and White, Nine West Sandals, Fioni Wedges, NY&CO Red Dress, Apostrophe Knit Green Dress, Bisou Bisou Pink and Brown Dress, Rampage Black Patent Heels, Mossimo Patent Red Thong Sandal, Aerosole Black Leather Sandal, Guess Black Wedge Sandal, Purple T-Shirt with Scarf, Forever21 White Ruffle Blouse, London Time Black Knit Dress, Black and Red Pashma Scarf, 2 Belts - Black and Brown, Apostrophe Black Jacket, NY&Co Animal Print Cardigan, Covington 3/4 Sleeve Black Jacket, Junior Print Blouse)

I know, I know, this is a lot of stuff. You don't have to purge as much as I do. Like I said before, the most important thing is to start with just a few items. I am not at all attached to my clothes. And since most of my purchases are made on clearance or at thrift/consignment stores I know that I can get more clothes on my limited budget. Now shoes and purses are another thing! I am really surprised that 6 pairs of shoes made it to the items to get rid of basket. 4 pairs of shoes made it to the alterations/repair basket along with a couple of dresses that I plan to get re-hemmed for a different look:



Make sure to come back later this week for Countdown to Spring, Pt. 2: Selling and Giving  to find out what I do with all of this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment