October 29, 2012

FFL 100 - Personal Style at UNCG

Foundations for Learning 100 is a freshman seminar course at UNCG. Students examine their role as engaged global learners in the educational experience through an exploration of the purposes of higher education and an introduction to the resources, skills, and competencies essential to academic success at UNCG. I appreciate my friend Trina for asking me to speak to her class about "defining personal style".

What is personal style?

Personal style is the opportunity to express who are you and what you represent to the world. First impressions are everything. Consider what your style says about your personality, your values, and your goals. Style is more than about just the clothes you wear, but the confidence that you have when you dress to impress. Personal style includes how you wear your hair, accessories, and piercings and tattoos. 

How do you define your personal style?


1. Ask yourself a few questions:

What are your top five favorite items?
What outfits or items do people always compliment you on?
What are your favorite stores?
What are your favorite brands?
Are you more concerned with style, comfort, or price?




2. Create an inspiration board

Just a quick walk across campus and you will see all types of personal style. What do you love? What do you hate. Create an inspiration board of the outfits you would love to recreate and might wear. Also look at magazines, Pinterest, Instagram, and blogs.

 
3. Let’s Go Shopping

I was a broke college student once and I understand being on a tight budget. You don't have to break the bank to update your wardrobe. Set a budget and figure out how much you can spend and what you need right now. Always consider cost per wear!! 
 
Here are a few of my favorite places to shop in Greensboro:

Goodwill
Plato’sCloset
Uptown Cheapskate
Mary’sJewelry Box
Forever 21
Charlotte Russe
 

3 comments:

  1. What a fun thing to do! You are giving me ideas for my own business. My focus is Leadership Coaching for minority females in their first 0-5 years of work. Great tips for the class!

    Spartan Spirit let me hear it! LOL- I am UNCG alumni!

    -Karen
    www.yourstylistkaren.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, that's great! I'm all about sharing ideas. I had no idea that you were a Spartan!!

      Delete